Find the Perfect Halloween Costume!

30 May 2010

Memories

As we go through life, we realize at some point that it is the small things that mean the most to us. It is the time spent with other people that is special. It is the time we spent doing things that stays in our memories.

The things or stuff that we hold onto is all attached to some memory of a person, a place, or an event. These are usually strong memories that imprint themselves onto the object. The souvenir from the circus you had so much fun at, the seashells from your trip to the beach with friends, the stuffed animal you grandmother gave you.. these are all examples of how we connect memories to items.

As I sorted out some clean laundry this evening, I ran across the shawl my mother knitted for me. She gave it to me as a Christmas present this past year. It was a wonderful color of deep, gentle purple, and so soft. Every time I see it I want to just sit down and cuddle with it. I spend a few minutes lost in thought as I hold it to my cheek and gently rock with it, almost as if I am holding a baby. This is such an automatic response, that I hardly notice I am doing it until my attention is pulled back to something in my current surroundings. My thoughts get lost between my favorite maroon sweater that my mother knitted for me when I was a small child that had that same softness, and the trip over the holidays that we made to see family this past Christmas. Memories of my mother's hugs and smiles, the feeling of her love wrapped around me. This is what this simple shawl means to me. It is much like the baby blanket that my mother made for each of my children. They are often seen with that same wistful look on their faces when holding their baby blankets.

I am so grateful that we had the chance to go see family last Christmas. I am grateful for my grandmother and my mother. They are both such special people. I am grateful to have grown up being loved by them. I am grateful that I have such wonderful memories as these.

No comments: